Ever since I started this low carb diet, I have been missing Italian food. However, this is one dish that does not have to be compromised in order to stay healthy. Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram and use hashtag #jens_baking_adventures_
Chicken Parmesan (Low Carb)
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Total Time: 40 Minutes
- 4 medium sized chicken breasts, thawed
- 4 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms (about 6), cut in half
- 12 oz. Marinara Sauce. I use my recipe.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 Almond Flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 oz. Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, cut into four slices
- 3/4 tsp. Garlic Salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish. Set aside.
- In a small, shallow pan, add almond flour and 1/4 tsp garlic salt. In another small, shallow pan, add grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 tsp garlic salt. In a third small shallow pan, add beaten egg.
- After cutting any excess fat off of the chicken breasts, beat each side of each chicken breast with a meat tenderizer.
- In a medium size skillet, heat Olive Oil on medium heat.
- Dip each chicken breast into almond flour, turning over a few times to coat each side. Then dip each chicken breast into the egg, then into the Parmesan Cheese mixture. Be sure to get an even coating on both sides.
- Add each chicken breast to the hot skillet. Let cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until they reach a golden color.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 4 oz. of Marinara Sauce to the bottom of the prepared glass baking dish. Next, add the chicken breasts to the dish.
- Add 2 oz. of Marinara Sauce to the top of each chicken breast. Place a piece of fresh mozzarella cheese on top of each chicken breast.
- Line the sides of the pan with the Baby Bella mushrooms. Top the dish with the remaining 1/4 tsp garlic Salt and 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning.
- Bake for 17- 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- When done baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve with your favorite vegetables!
Calories: 274, Carbs: 5.9 g, Fiber: 1.3 g, Fat: 13.4 g, Protein: 31.9 g, Net Carbs: 4.6 g