If anyone is keeping score at home, I am IN LOVE with lemon this year. So much so that I’ve been cracking away at a lemon brownie recipe. Because lemon. And brownies. So after four tries, here is the recipe that had my family devouring a whole 9 x 13 pan in just a few days.
Servings: 28 Prep Time: 15 Minutes Bake Time: 32 Minutes Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes (includes cooling time)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper, leaving a little overhang on each side. This will make removal easier. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Add in lemon juice, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk together. Add in eggs and whisk until combined.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Using a large spatula, spread the batter in the baking dish and smooth until even.
- Bake for 30 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick. Toothpick should come out with a few moist crumbs. If brownies are not done, continue baking a minute at a time until brownies are done.
- For frosting, mix confectioners sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add in heavy whipping cream to cut some of the tartness. If frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a tiny amount of lemon juice at a time until frosting reaches the right consistency.
- Wait for brownies to cool at least one hour, then add frosting. Using a spatula, spread frosting to evenly cover the brownies. Let brownies continue to sit at room temperature until frosting is set or chill in the refrigerator to speed things up.
- When brownies are cooled to room temperature, lift out of pan by parchment paper and cut into small squares and enjoy!
Brownies can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days.
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me. Don’t forget to use hashtag #jens_baking_adventures_