If you read my last post about lemon bars, I had a full on science experiment going on in my kitchen over the last few weeks in order to perfect this recipe. It was a lot of fun and I really want to share the final recipe with you all. (These are not low carb, but we’ll get there next) I hope you guys like it!
Servings: 12 bars Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time (total): 42 minutes Total Time: 3.5 hours (includes cooling)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 9 glass pan with parchment paper, leaving enough to hang over the sides of the pan. This will make removal easier later. Set aside.
- For the crust, sift the flour and powered sugar together in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and stir until combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking pan until it covers the entire pan. Be sure your layer is even. Bake for 18 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown.
- For the filling, sift the sugar and flour in a medium bowl. Add in the eggs and lemon juice and whisk until all ingredients are completely combined.
- Pour the filling over the warm the crust. Bake for 16 minutes or until the center is no longer “wiggly”. You may need to add a few minutes to this.
- Allow the lemon bars to cool, about 30 minutes. When the pan has come to room temperature, place the whole pan into the refrigerator to cool for 1-2 more hours.
- Once cool, pull the bars out of the pan by the parchment paper. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into twelve bars. Serve and enjoy!
For leftovers: The bars can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week. To freeze, cut the cooled bars into squares and lay on a baking sheet. Freeze for one hour. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. The frozen bars will keep for 3-4 months.
For Sally’s original recipe, click here.
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram and use hashtag #jens_baking_adventures_